Home

Friday, September 4, 2015

What Works: Positive Behavior Managment

I've tried a variety of classroom management ideas. Some worked better than others. The success often depended on the student needs in my class and on where or not I could be consistent with the chosen plan. Sometimes implementing the plans would take time away from teaching. (Isn't the goal to have more time teaching?)

Let me share what works for me.

I like to focus on rewarding the positive. This post will be about the incentives I use to promote positive choices. (I will post later with how I redirect students who are not demonstrating positive choices.) I have both individual and group incentives.

Individual Incentives

I came across this sticker board and behavior management idea on Fluttering Though First Grade's blog.
Here's how it works... If I notice a student making a good choice, I'll give them a sticker to put on their 10 frame. When they have 10 stickers they get a prize. Simple. Effective.

I love that it naturally reinforces math concepts. When they earn a sticker, I'll hear them say: "Now I have 8. I only need 2 more to get to 10!" When we get to our 10 frame unit in math... we catch on quickly.

Sticker boards are kept in chair pocket folders.

If I don't want to interrupt my teaching to get/give a sticker, I let them pick one out.
(They know to pull out 2 stickers. Choose one and put the other one back.)

"Sticker Station"

I have two prize options when "redeeming" sticker charts: trinkets from the treasure chest or privilege tickets.



One of the reasons I added privilege tickets is because they cost me NOTHING! Its' also interesting to see what privileges students choose. It tells me what is motivating to them!

This year I'm using Laura Martin's Classroom Coupons. She has a great variety of rewards that your students will want to work for. Click on the picture to check them out!

Reward Coupons

Click HERE to head on over to Fluttering Through First Grade's post about using sticker boards and to get your own FREEBIE of the boards.

Group Incentives



I also have a whole class incentive that is similar to the 10 frame boards. We work together to earn 10 stars.

 We earn class starts if EVERYONE is going above and beyond. (Everyone was participating. We got a double thumbs up in gym. The classroom was cleaned up and everything was even more organized than before play time....) Sometimes we earn them quickly. Sometimes we do not. There is one guaranteed way to earn a star ....*drum role*... by receiving a compliment from another staff member. "Your class is walking to nicely in the halls!" (You  should see their eyes light up as they mouth the word "star" to me.)

When we put that 10th star up we celebrate! It's very rare that everyone wants the same reward... so... we do things the democratic way - vote! Choices can be a short video with popcorn, extra recess, popsicle party, show-n-tell day... sometimes I let them come up with an idea. (Which usually involves some sort of sugary goodness - that's kids for ya!)

Don't forget... presentation is everything! I sometimes will do my teacher dance when my class earns a star. My kids think it's hilarious! I'm not sure how to describe it.... but you put one hand behind your head, one hand holding your ankle behind your back (so you are balancing on one foot).... and then you dance!

This was in a Christmas card from a student.
What type of behavior plan and incentive have you found to work for you and your class? I'd love to hear them. Leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. These are great ideas! I especially love the stars. I'm going to try it.

    Stacy
    Made with Love

    ReplyDelete