Home

Friday, August 7, 2015

Five for Friday: One Long Sunday Night


I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for a little Five for Friday fun! Thanks for hosting Kacey!


It's officially August. I've started having dreams about school.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited for back-to-school, but at the same time I realize how many things on my summer to-do list are left. Double time!

One project I crossed off that list is making my first scrap quilt. It was about time. I have so many scraps from previous quilts, I need to use them up before I spend another cent on more fabric.


I saw this scrap quilt pattern a ways back and knew I had to make it.

I have a thing for quilts with bright colors paired with black...as you can see by two other recent quilts I've made...


Here was the end result.... ta, da! I love how it turned out!



Does anybody else save dust jackets from books? I always take mine off of the books since my kinders have trouble keeping them on the books (and putting them back on).


I came across Kinder Craze's tutorial for how to put those dust jackets to good use - a banner!
I followed her tutorial here. So cute! I still need to add some contrasting ribbon bows.


I had enough dust jackets to practically make a banner for every wall in my classroom, so I picked ones from my favorite books. See any of your favorites?

(I'm thinking I'll use the other dust jackets to make another banner for a bulletin board display. I thought it would be cute to take a picture of each lower elementary teacher with their favorite picture book along with a short book review on why it's their favorite.)



My magnetic letters have arrived!!

I have big plans to use them for guided reading this year. I normally use tiles, but this cookie sheet idea from Polka Dot Kinders seems much more user friendly.

Students can easily find each letter to build their word with at the top. 



Our washing machine is finally fixed!! *happy dance*
One day I stepped in a puddle of water when doing a load of laundry. *groan* Turns out a needle or nail got stuck in the pump and the friction caused it to melt through the plastic causing it to leak. (That's my rendition of what the expert said.)

My hubby loves to build things, so it's not a surprise that a nail or other building tidbit was the culprit.


So in an effort to keep our washer (and wallets) happy, I made this sign above it.



I've gotten into a dangerous habit. Coconut milk ice cream after supper. Every. Day. (well, not quite...almost) It's just so good! Isn't it weird how practically anything can be made from a cocount? When we did the Whole30 challenge earlier this summer, we couldn't have dairy so we drank coconut milk. Even though we are done with the challenge, we've looked for ways to substitute various foods. It's crazy how you can buy soy sauce, sugar, flour... all made from coconuts. It's like the modern day peanut!

Have a Happy Friday!



12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the jacket cover banner! So so cute. In the classroom I would often take them off or at least laminate them for durability. Even with my own girls at home I find myself taking them off and then just piling them in the closet. This is such a better idea!

    Sara
    Sara J Creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels good to put something filling closet space to good use!

      Delete
  2. I keep book jacket covers too - usually for bulletin boards but I love the banner idea too, hmmm, putting that on the to do list :) Love the cookie sheet idea too! Congrats on the washer - although it does mean you have to do laundry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using dust jackets for bulletin boards is another great idea. (That teacher to do list never rests, does it? :)

      Delete
  3. Your quilts are amazing! I really like the jacket cover banner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I LOVE your quilts! You're so talented! How long does it take you to make one?
    Andrea
    Maternelle avec Mme Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so thankful my mom signed me up to take a quilting class in high school. It has become a favorite hobby of mine!
      It depends on the type of quilt and how intricate it is. Usually it takes about a week (working several hours a day) to finish a quilt. (Part of the reason I mainly quilt in the summer when I can work on it for large chunks of time.)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE your quilts! They are beautiful!!! I also enjoy working on scrap quilts.

    iTeach 2nd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do?! That's awesome! The next scrap quilt I want to try is a crazy quilt. Ever done one of those?

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the letter magnets matching!!

    Those quilts you made are INCREDIBLE!! I LOVE that pink, black, and white one!
    teaching with ninjanuity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I love the pattern on that one as well.

    ReplyDelete