Home

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Beginning the Journey



Welcome to my blogging journey as a Kindergarten teacher.  My hope is that this blog will encourage, humor, and inspire you. I have a flair for the dramatic and can find humor in almost any situation, which is probably why several close friends have told me I should write a book about my life. I also believe finding humor in the midst of chaos is why I’m still a teacher. This is my sixth year teaching. I started as a Pre-Kindergarten director and after two years transitioned to kindergarten- which I love.  I didn’t plan to teach at a Christian school… but God did. Following God is always an adventure. 

Let me share how I began my teaching career. Go back 6 years - I'm a college student with student teaching under my belt, weeks before graduation. I was filling out the dreaded, novel-sized teaching position applications… while secretly hoping to be hired at the school I student taught at. I loved this school. I loved the teachers, I loved the students – it was a perfect plan. But…they (along with many local schools) ended up cutting several positions due to budget cuts. Very few area schools were hiring. I was devastated. “God, this is the worst year for me to graduate! Now my applications are in piles with seasoned teachers. I don't stand a chance. I don’t want to move away from all I’ve ever known… I don’t want to sub…" I didn’t really know if I could trust God with the dream of having my own classroom.  

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m interviewing for a Pre-Kindergarten director position at a private Christian school. You know how this part ends – I got the job! Now looking back… I see how the disappointment of having so few places to apply was really a blessing. It was God’s way of closing the doors that weren’t His best for me so I could see His dream - not mine. Be encouraged that when you delight in the Lord, you can trust Him – He is for you and His plan is best!


Trust in the Lord and do good;
    dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
    your vindication like the noonday sun.

 Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;

Psalm 37: 3-7a

No comments:

Post a Comment