Home

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Five for Friday {Kicking off 2016}

We are off and running! I don't know about you, but January is my favorite month for teaching.

Why?

Oh, so many reasons!

But the main one is that my little kinders come back from Christmas break with even more independence and are ready read, read, READ! AND some of my favorite units to teach are in January: Polar bears, Penguins, Solar System, Shapes, and Community Helpers.

I'm linking up with Kacey from Doodle Bugs Teaching for a little Five for Friday fun!


 After a lovely break..., it was indeed time to ring in the new year.


I asked if my students knew what a resolution was this year. I was pretty impressed when one of my students replied with "It's a plan for the future."

Some years I've asked them what they would like to do in the new year, but I usually get an answer like "I would like to...get __(insert random toy they didn't get for Christmas)__". Hmmm... not quit a resolution. :) This year I had them share what they were looking forward to in 2016 instead and it was interesting to hear their responses.

We kicked off our Polar Bear unit this week. We made these adorable polar bears to frame our reports. Each day this week we wrote 1 sentence about polar bears using our Can, Have, Are chart.


We've also been talking about temperature and thermometers. I put ice in the sensory table since we did the insulation glove experiment with a Ziplock bag of Crisco to show how blubber keeps arctic animals warm. (Sorry no picture!)

I added some random cars to the ice and let them play in it during playtime. They LOVED it!


Now, thanks to a mild snowstorm that traveled through, I can fill the sensory table with snow and artic animals tomorrow.
I always look forward to our Shapes unit in math. There are so many fun hands-on activities! It's also a nice break from number identification and values which some kids need more time to hone in on.

This is my favorite poem for learning about 3D shapes.

Can you find the horrendous spelling error it has taken me 2 years a while to notice?!?


I know! I can't believe it! All I can think is how many volunteers, parents, or other teachers have come in my room and noticed it?

Keeping it real.


 We identified 3D shapes and learned how to form them with playdough. The cone is a stinker to make! A good lesson to reinforce.. "If at first you don't succeed..."

 Here is a random book about shapes I found at the thrift store. It's perfect for using with Bendaroos. On each page there is a rhyme about a 2D shape. As I read, students try to make the shape on their plate with Bendaroos. 

Glossy paper plates keep the waxy mess off the tables.

 I received so many wonderful Christmas cards and gift this year from my darlings, but the most creative award goes to one family who made me a dramatic play pizzeria. They asked if they could at conferences and I said YES PLEASE! Designing dramatic play centers is not my forte.

They thought of everything! Menus, a sign for the "Daily Special", potholders and felt pizzas (in small, medium, and large) for students to make to order. Toppings include mushrooms, sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, and cheese!

They even made a pizza oven!


I'll have to post more pictures when I do a review of what our dramatic play center has been since September.

Be sure to stop by the linkup and see what else everyone if up to!

2 comments:

  1. So much good stuff in this post! The pizzeria is amazing! What a great gift idea. The polar bears are super cute. And I just LOVE that you put cars in the ice. They had to have been in heaven! Happy Friday!

    Heather
    The Land of I Can

    ReplyDelete